Wednesday, 6 May 2009

Good-bye Nana

My lovely 87 year old Nana passed away this morning. We found out 3 weeks ago she had a fast growing brain tumor. Luckily she passed relatively quickly and painlessly. I'm very happy that she was able to meet her great granddaughter, although it makes me sad to think that Meredith will not remember her.

She was a young WWII war bride from the Netherlands. She moved to Canada after a short courtship and marriage to my Canadian grandfather near the end of the war. She spoke very little English but managed to make a life for herself as a farmer's wife west of Calgary. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to give up everything she knew and follow a man to a country an ocean away. I think it must have taken tremendous courage. But, after surviving bombing raids and seeing the destruction of her hometown of Rotterdam, maybe she thought it was a chance at a new life.

We'll miss you Nana.
...


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Sweetheart
Love
Mom

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your Nana. Sounds like she had a very interesting life. Love the photo of her with Merrie. She'll treasure it when she's older. Hope you are doing ok.

Kris and Krista Jewett said...

Sorry to hear about your Nana...

All the best,
Krista

Anonymous said...

Cynthia, Meredith and John,
Cam and I are sorry to hear about Nana - she had an adventurous life it sounds! I am sure you will share her with Meredith in many ways!
Erin and Cam

Louie said...

Sorry to hear about your Nana. Kevin's Nana is also a war bride from Rotterdam. What brave women they were/are.
Shannon