Monday, 15 February 2010

House arrest...

There have been some unfortunate developments with this pregnancy - the placenta has been partially separating from my uterus (placental abruption). In the worst case scenario this could result in the emergency delivery of a very premature baby. So to help avoid this I have been taken off work and get to spend the next 4 months at home. I'm not on bed rest, but for the next few weeks I'm not to really leave the house, pick up or carry Meredith or do anything like vacuuming or laundry (John calls it house arrest). John has taken over the responsibilities of being Meredith's primary caregiver (taking her to and from daycare, feeding her and putting her to bed). The goal is to get the baby to at least 30 weeks, at which point the chances of healthy survival are greatly increased.

So, if anyone has any ideas on how I can entertain myself for the next (hopefully) 16 weeks, I'm all ears! (and no Dad, I'm not going to write reports!) ;)

6 comments:

natalie said...

I'm sorry to hear about the complications Cynthia. I had a partial concealed abruption with Eve, but not until ~38 weeks. After it abrupted a bit though it completely stopped and I ended up having a c-section at 41 weeks so hopefully you have the same luck (well, the no more abrupting part, not the c-section, obviously!). Do you like to read? I would fill my time with alot of chick lit... Sophie Kinsella, Marian Keyes, Emily Giffin, all good and entertaining. And relaxing!

natalie said...

oops I mean my abruption was ~36 weeks, not 38.

Unknown said...

HUGS!!! Let me know if you need anything. I can always drop by.

Astrid said...

Oh wow Cynthia. Rest up! I recommend zip.ca for all of your movie rental needs - the postman brings your rentals ... I could never go to blockbuster with Matt anyways so I have used Zip for about 2 years and LOVE IT!!

I also think you should take up knitting (Cool mom's knit and cool grandmas and you'll need practice). There is so much cute baby stuff out there to knit. You can totally learn off of Martha Stewart http://www.marthastewart.com/article/how-to-knit

First project I made was her scarf
http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=ea81c137bf22f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default
(I still wear it all winter).

Anonymous said...

Cynthia and John, My prayers are with you both that everything goes well and that your delivery is at a safe time. As for what to do....my suggestion is for both of you to recall childhood stories about yourselves that you can journal for your children to enjoy when they are older. Kids usually love family history. Love, Wendy

Anonymous said...

Hey Cynthia - my goodness, Cam and I are both thinking of you! Please keep well! What to do...time to dig out those back-issues of the Peg? yah right! My picks: Dan Brown books, Sex and the City DVD's, and Take this House and Sell it re-runs. Cam seems to kill a lot of time by looking at guitar pedals online, but he's kind of special :) Take, care - I'll get your home email from Tess, ok!
Erin