Meredith loves to play with anything electronic, including the TV remote and the phone. She loves to press the buttons and I usually let her play with the phone if I'm close by. I figured that the worst that could happen is she'd press redial or call someone in the contact list. However, last night I learned otherwise. We were all sitting downstairs and I was immersed in watching a show when I heard the phone's dial tone and beep-beep-beep-beep and then the ringing tone. I quickly grabbed the phone from Merrie and cancelled the call after the first ring...then looked at the number she called...yup, you guessed it...9-1-1-4. Crap. Seriously, what are the chances?!
Calgary emergency services has a policy that any hang-up 911 call is investigated and a police unit is sent out. An operator called back and I told her what happened but a unit had to be sent out anyways. I had to stay on the phone with her until they arrived 10 minutes later. Luckily the 2 officers were very gracious. They looked at Merrie sitting in her high chair and said "Wow, what a cute baby! Based on her age we can't really reprimand her..." Then they turned to me and continued "so we're going to reprimand you!" I, of course, apologized profusely and promised that Merrie would no longer be playing with the phone. The other officer then offered "it's ok, we get paid by the hour. And that's what we're here for."
On the bright side it's nice to know that 911 actually works and if I had been in trouble and the bad guy had hung up the phone on me while making a call, help would be sent. Let's hope we never need to call them for real!
5 comments:
Oh no!! Talk about embarassing. No more phone for Merrie.
That is hilarious (well likely not so hilarious as it was happening and as you were being reamed out by the police)! What a crazy night that must have been for you guys! Glad to hear that they take all calls seriously, though!
Erin
Don't feel too bad Cynthia, the exact same thing happened to my neighbour and they had to send the unit up to check on them as well. Amazing the skill these little ones show in hitting just the right numbers! Really, it's quite impressive!
I've said that she is a smart one and this proves it!! Always seems like she is a step ahead of you.
Love
Mom
So funny, Cynthia! Caleb is obsessed with our cell phones. However, I doubt that the same policy applies when you call the Vietnamese emergency number...
Post a Comment