Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Eating our Way Through France

John and I were incredibly fortunate to take an adult only vacation to France in August. I was selected to attend a field trip in the region with work, so we decided to make use of my free airfare and make a vacation out of it. The girls were well cared for by my mom and sister and I don't think missed us a bit!

Our vacation started with 3 nights in Paris. We toured around, seeing most of the main sights and eating more than our fair share of pastries, crepes and baguette. John's coworker from the Netherlands, Frank, who he's never met, flew into Paris to meet us for one day. It was great spending time with and getting to know him. We then drove to the Dordogne region of France, roughly 500 km S-SE of Paris. We spent 2 nights in Domme, a lovely hilltop medieval village. I am completely in love with castles, so we spent a couple of days castle-hopping in 38+ degree heat. We then headed 30 minutes north of Domme and spent a wonderful 5 nights with the crew from CookInFrance. This cooking course far exceeded our expectations - the food was incredible (all the better because we made it), the scenery beautiful and the company engaging. We sadly said farewell to everyone and headed 2 hours west to Bordeaux, where we spent one night roaming the city and eating some great local fare. The next day John flew home and I met up with my colleagues to start a field trip of the modern Gironde estuary and Arcachon Lagoon.

I was away for almost three weeks and I only had a couple of days to get over the jet lag before starting my first university course. We're still getting adjusted around here to our new fall schedule, with me in school and Meredith taking ballet. We'll find our stride pretty soon and hopefully it'll be smooth sailing!
...
 John enjoying a cafe in Beynac









 The medieval village of Sarlat

 A smart place to put a castle...

Quick, close the drawbridge!

 See the castle on the right? That's the one I want. I don't think it has a moat, but I'm willing to compromise.

My new French friend

Chateau Beynac

Watching for invaders...

 "Bring me my food, wench!"

 Chateau Beynac

 Always trying to veer off the beaten path...

 Finding respite from the heat
 

 Practicing his butchering skills on the remnants of a duck

Rustic croutons with prosciutto and rosemary (to be eaten with baked Camembert)

Summer vegetable salad with poached egg (poached the real way)

John holding my sugar spring

Trying not to burn myself with hot caramel

The finale - pan fried duck breast, roasted summer vegetables and pommes dauphinoise, with mint-pea puree.

Gorgeous display of French produce at the Sarlat market

The olive stand

No comments: