Friday, 23 January 2009

Want to be a kitchen designer?

John and I have decided to do a kitchen reno. We're getting a new floor, countertop, backsplash, appliances and having the cabinets painted. We've decided on the floor (a mid-tone laminate that looks like tile), the cabinet colour (off-white), and we're planning on a multi-coloured glass mosaic tile for the backsplash. But, we're having a huge problem choosing a countertop (this is a semi short term reno, so we're going with laminate). What do you all think?? Should we go lighter or darker than the floor?
...

The tile is in the background. The white square is the cabinet colour, blue is the wall colour. The knob represents the stainless appliances.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Just clicked over on "next blog" and landed here....I vote for darker laminate...you need a little bit of contrast. Good luck with the reno!

natalie said...

My vote would be for something light and neutral, from the top row. I always like kitchens to be light and bright and airy. Good luck, I am glad we don't have any renos, I would never be able to make a decision!

Unknown said...

I like the bottom left brownish one. I think black would be too dark, but too light might blend into your cabinets too much. The laminate looks so much like tile in this picture!

Lori said...

I like the darker countertop (even the black) with the stainless steel appliances - whatever you choose, make sure you post photos of the finished look! Have fun!

Louie said...

I vote for the top left brown one or the bottom left brown one - I think brown and blue look really warm together. Plus as Astrid always says - go with the "crumb colour" for counter tops....

Anonymous said...

How can i offer colour advice for my colour expert? :) I like the mid-tone to darker shades & particularly like the ones with some grey in it as i think they look good with the grey in the floor colour. Of course, then you might end up with a sad looking blue grey kitchen so make sure John buys you flowers ALL the time to spruce things up.
erin

Anonymous said...

How can i offer colour advice for my colour expert? :) I like the mid-tone to darker shades & particularly like the ones with some grey in it as i think they look good with the grey in the floor colour. Of course, then you might end up with a sad looking blue grey kitchen so make sure John buys you flowers ALL the time to spruce things up.
erin